Monday, June 13, 2022

Why We Stash Yarn

 Why do we stash yarn? My yarn friends and I ask ourselves this frequently.  Yes, it's nice to always have a project at hand without having to run to the yarn store.  But it is also true that if I want to make a present for someone, or I get an idea for a very specific project, I almost always have to buy yarn, even if I shop the stash first.

There is also potential guilt about your yarn stash to deal with.  It doesn't really matter what size stash you own.  If it makes you feel guilty not using it, or it is taking up too much space, then it is too big.

So why amass a large stash?  I truly believe it is because stashing yarn is a way of believing that there is time to make all of the projects you want to make and try all of the yarn you want to try.  The man in the Viking Cruises commercial says time is the only truly scarce commodity, and he's right.  The yarn will be there in the stores when you are ready to make the project.  But the brain will fool itself into believing that if you have the yarn, you must have the time to use it up, and so you buy more now.  And before you know it, the stash takes up an entire room in the house.  That's why it is important to curb the impulse to buy yarn if you are serious about stashing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How My Stash Grew/Color

  I turned 40 in 2000.  I had finally finished my education, I had a full time job, a marriage, a house and a mortgage.  I had the money, if...