Friday, June 3, 2022

The Scope of the Problem - and The Challenge

I have approximately 800 skeins of yarn in my stash, totaling approximately 105 miles of yarn.  This isn't the biggest stash I have seen on Ravelry, but it is up there among the largest.  If I used a mile a month, I would get to the end of my stash in 8.75 years.  So I am not quite at SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy), but I am too close for comfort.  I am also retired.  The thing about retirement is that you are home a lot with your stuff, and it becomes much harder to ignore just how much stuff you actually have.

So my challenge to myself is this - between now and December 31, 2023, I am going to use up half my stash.  I need to about double the amount of yarn I use each month to reach this goal, which should be doable if I focus.

These numbers are all based on the stash I have listed on Ravelry.  I originally inventoried my stash and added it to Ravelry in 2008.  I have been good about adding all of the yarn I have acquired (unless it didn't have a label and I truly didn't know the yardage), but I am hoping that I have been less good about moving entries to "all used up" over the years.  I will re-inventory parts of the stash as I go, and with luck I will be able to get some numbers down without any effort on my part.

Let the challenge begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How My Stash Grew/Color

  I turned 40 in 2000.  I had finally finished my education, I had a full time job, a marriage, a house and a mortgage.  I had the money, if...